HPA/LiveWell Parent Support Group 2018 Series
HPA/LiveWell offers a series of Parent Support Group sessions in our Albany location, designed to help parents and children cope with mental health and eating disorder issues.
Where: 260 Washington Ave Ext. Ste 101, Corporate Plaza, Albany, NY 12203
Time: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Call to Register
June 13th: Proactive and Positive Parenting Skills
Melissa Them, PhD
Are you tired of yelling? Do you find yourself wishing your child or teen was more respectful or compliant? Do you feel like you’ve run out of ideas? Join our pediatric specialist, Dr. Melissa Them, for a presentation followed by Q&A on parenting skills.
Topics to be discussed include:
- How to Set Age-Appropriate Expectations
- Giving Effective Commands
- Communicating Better (and More!)
- When to Seek Support
Melissa Them, PhD is a NYS Licensed Psychologist specializing in the assessment and treatment of childhood mental health disorders. She has experience with children of all ages and their parents and has been with HPA/LiveWell since its opening in 2010. Dr. Them can be heard speaking in schools around the Capital Region a variety of topics relevant to children and parents.
July 11th: Understanding and Treating Binge Eating
Ross Krawczyk, PhD
Please join us for a lecture and discussion about how to identify, understand, and overcome binge eating hosted by licensed psychologist Ross Krawczyk, PhD
Topics to be covered:
- Binge eating and out-of-control eating
- Weight control and healthy eating
- Emotional eating and coping with stress/anxiety
- Helping a family member with disordered eating
Feel free to bring your own questions.
Dr. Ross Krawczyk is a licensed clinical psychologist at HPA/Livewell and an assistant professor of psychology at The College of Saint Rose. In his clinical work and research, he specializes in eating and weight-related disorders, body image, and obesity.
Aug 8th: Managing Mental Health Concerns in College: What Parents Should Know
Pat Bradway, PsyD
Are you concerned about sending your son or daughter off to college? Join us for an open discussion with a seasoned College Counseling Professional.
Topics to be discussed:
- Communicating with your Almost Adult Kid
- How to Encourage Problem Solving
- Stress and Distress for Millennials
- Researching the College’s Mental Health Resources
Bring your own questions.
Dr. Pat Bradway, a licensed NY State Psychologist and HPA clinician, has worked in 3 college counseling centers for a total of 19 years. Presently she is the Associate Director of the Counseling Center at Siena College.
September 12th: Strategies and treatment interventions for those caring for someone with an eating disorder.
Kelly Keohan, MA LMHC
Assistant Program Director- HPA/Livewell
Topics to be covered:
- What is an eating disorder?
- What can you do to help
- Types of treatment
- Signs of a co existing disorder ( mental health, substance abuse)
- How to navigate the insurance process
* Open discussion
Ms. Keohan is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor with over 25 years experience in the mental health and eating disorder field. Presently, Ms. Keohan is a clinician and Assistant Director of the LiveWell Intensive Outpatient Program.
October 10th: Motivating Your Teen/Young Adult
Julie Morison, PhD
Are you struggling with how to motivate your son or daughter to engage in school, sports, work or social experiences? Join us for an open discussion where parents can share their challenges with a clinician with extensive experience in helping reluctant teens/ young adults make change.
Topics for discussion will include but are not limited to:
- What are normal teen/young adult behaviors
- Understanding behaviors within the context of normal development
- Setting limits while respecting your son/daughter’s interests
Please bring any and all related questions
Dr. Julie Morison, a license Psychologist and the Owner and Director of HPA/LiveWell. Dr Morison has many years of experience in working with teens and young adults struggling with making change.
November 14th: Nutritional Guidelines for Parents With A Child With Eating Disorders
Tammy Weber, RDN
Topics to be discussed:
- Nutritional needs of your child
- Meal planning strategies
- Ideas for meals/snacks to achieve goals
- How to be of assistance to your child
Come ask questions, learn, and get support from Registered Dietitian Tammy Weber RD,CDN, and other families with same concerns.
December 12th: Helping Ymyour Child Cope With The Winter Blues
Amina Mahmood, PhD
The “winter blues” (Seasonal Affective Disorder) impacts 5% of the US population, and typically lasts for about 40% of the year. This can affect our functioning, mood, and energy levels. This group will:
- Help you identify symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder in your child
- Educate you on treatment options and strategies to manage symptoms
- Provide a forum for concerns and discussion you may have
- And for those interested we will also incorporate some yoga stretches that help alleviate symptoms (so dress comfortably and bring a mat [optional] if you would like!
Dr. Amina Mahmood a licensed NY State Psychologist and HPA clinician. She has clinical experiences in varied settings. She is also a registered yoga teacher (RYT-200), and incorporated mindfulness practices into treatment routinely.
Our Treatment Programs Get Results
To learn more, call to speak with a Case Manager today.