We all experience stress. Whether your stress stems from work, finances, relationships, or otherwise, it can take a significant toll. We recognize the huge impact stress can have, and at HPA/LiveWell in Albany, New York, we are committed to doing our part in support of National Stress Awareness Month 2018.
Stress Awareness Facts
Stress not only affects our mental state, but also our physical health. Stress can lead to a range of physical problems – anything from mild acne to something more serious, like a heart attack. Yet the most commonly reported physical effects of stress are:
- Muscle tightness or tension
- Chest pain
- Fatigue and/or lethargy
- Upset stomach
- Lowered libido
National Stress Awareness Month Tips
It is clear stress can have some damaging effects. Unfortunately, so many people are unaware and cope with stress in unhealthy or ineffective ways. Stress Awareness Month is a time to educate the public, not only on the potential risks of stress, but also on helpful ways to handle it.
There are many things you can do to manage your stress levels and cope in a healthy way:
- Regular physical activity – whether you go to the gym or simply take a walk each day, moving your body helps release endorphins and improve your mood.
- Socializing – sometimes stress can lead to isolation. Spending time with friends and family is important aspect of healthy stress management.
- Relaxation practices – deep breathing, meditation, yoga, and tai chi are some examples.
- Focus on the present – so much of our stress comes from worrying about the future. With an increased focus on being mindful and present, you may begin to notice a lower level of stress overall.
- Hobbies – making time to engage in activities you enjoy is an important step to stress management.
- Maintain a sense of humor – the old adage “laughter is the best medicine” is definitely true when it comes to coping with stress.
- Gratitude – practicing gratitude is a way to shift your focus away from the negative. Try making a list of things you are grateful for on a daily basis.
If you want to find out more about Stress Awareness Month, or need support to manage your own stress, contact HPA/LiveWell in Albany, New York at 518-218-1118
Our Treatment Programs Get Results
To learn more, call to speak with a Case Manager today.